Fridays at Five. Give a concert at your window.
Family Quiz of the Week
Family Quiz of the Week
This week the theme is Animals. Answers will be with next weeks quiz. Email pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can you name an animal beginning with any of the musical letter names, A-G?
- The composer Haydn wrote 104 symphonies. Some have animal nicknames. Which two of the following are correct? a) The Hen b) The Goat c) The Bear d) The Panda e) The Donkey f) The Dog
- Can you find the hidden animals in the following (eg Bach Magnificat)?
a) Fender Stratocaster (Electric Guitar)
b) Thomas Weelkes (composer)
c) The National Anthem (God save the Queen) - two to find in this one
4. Name four Nursery Rhymes or children’s songs that mention animals.
5. In ‘Spring’ from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, which instrument is used to imitate a dog barking?
6. In Saint-Saens ‘Carnival of the Animals’, which large instrument is the elephant?
7. What is your favourite animal or pet? Which instrument do you think they might like to play? Could you draw a picture or take a photo and scan it to send to us?
8. In the 1992 comedy film ‘Beethoven’, which animal is Beethoven?
9. Schubert wrote a famous Quintet named after a fish. Which of the following is correct?
a) Cod b) Salmon c) Trout d) Pilchard e) Carp
10. The ‘Tarantella’ is an Italian dance. It depicts the effects of being bitten by a poisonous animal. Which one?
11. Answer these two questions about the string family.
a) Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass all use hair from the tail of which animal to make bow hair?
b) What part of the bow is named after a pond dwelling animal?
12. Gioachino Rossini wrote ‘The Cat Duet’. How many words can you make using the letters of his name?
13. Can you name the Russian composer who wrote “The Flight of the Bumble Bee?
14. “The Lark Ascending” by Vaughan Williams is one of the most popular and famous pieces of music. It is written for a solo instrument and orchestra. What is the solo Instrument?
15. What musical term would you use to describe these creatures?
a) Snail b) Cheetah
16. What pieces or songs have you played or sung that have animals in the title?
Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Classical Guitar, Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar
Piano lessons (in pairs of students) are available at Weekday and Saturday Music Centre as a second study to a main instrument. There is also provision for keyboard and piano lessons in some schools.
Tuned Percussion, Drum Kit, Voice
KS1 Pupils (Infant)
Students in Yr. 1 and 2 have a very limited range of instruments to choose from – Violin, Recorder and Fife are excellent choices of “age appropriate” instruments which can help lay the foundations of musical learning. Please see our Kindergarten and Infant Music leaflet for further details.
Get Into Music
Havering Music School understands the demands placed on family finances and have developed an innovative plan to help you budget for your child’s music lessons in a cost effective way.
This plan has already been adopted by 46 schools with more joining in 2019.
For further details please download the “Get into Music” brochure from our home page or enquire at your child’s school.
The scheme is only available the following schools at present, but it is anticipated that many more schools will eventually be covered:
- Abbs Cross Academy, RM12 4YB
- Harold Wood, RM3 0TH
- Harrow Lodge, RM12 4BP
- Havering Sixth Form, RM11 3TB
- Hornchurch High, RM12 4AJ
- Benhurst, RM12 4QS
- Bower Park, RM1 4YY
- Branfil, RM14 2LW
- Clockhouse, RM5 3QR
- Crownfield, RM7 8JB
- Crowlands, RM7 9EJ
- Dame Tipping, RM4 1PS
- Elm Park, RM12 5UA
- Engayne, RM14 1SW
- Gaynes, RM14 3UX
- Gidea Park, RM12 5AJ
- Goodrington, RM11 2LJ
- Hacton, RM12 6AU
- Harold Court, RM3 0SH
- Havering College, RM11 2LL
- James Oglethorpe, RM14 3NB
- Langtons, RM11 3SD
- La Salette, RM13 8SP
- Marshall Park, RM1 4EH
- Nelmes, RM11 3BX
- Parklands, RM1 4QX
- Parsonage Farm, RM13 9JU
- Raphael, RM11 1BU
- Redden Court, RM3 0TS
- R J Mitchell, RM12 5QB
- Royal Liberty, RM2 6HJ
- Sacred Heart of Mary, RM14 2QR
- Sanders, RM12 6RT
- Scargil, RM13 7PL
- Scotts, RM12 6TH
- St.Edward’s Primary, RM1 4BD
- St. Albans, RM12 5LN
- St. Joseph’s, RM14 2QB
- St. Mary’s, RM12 4TL
- St. Patrick’s, RM5 2AP
- St Peter’s, RM1 4JA
- Suttons, RM12 6RP
- Squirrels Heath Junior, RM2 5TP
- Towers Junior, RM11 1PD
- Upminister Junior, RM14 3BS